Thursday 18 July 2013

Literary inspiration

1001 ways to be a better gardener by Pippa Greenwood
During the winter months, when my trowel and trug are safely packed away in the shed and there is enough snow on the ground to build an igloo, I like to imagine all the things I will do with my garden and vegetable patch the following year. 

Over the years I have built up a good collection of gardening books and every winter I spend many a happy hour in front of the fire reading each one from cover to cover in search of new ideas and new techniques.  These books are also invaluable as a literary first aid kit when something inevitably goes wrong.  Recently my prized gooseberry bush which I had rescued a few years ago and nurtured ever since, was devoured by what appeared to be hungry little caterpillars.  A quick consultation with the books and the diagnosis was a bad case of gooseberry sawfly.  The remedy was a good spray of pesticide and I am pleased to report the prognosis now appears to be positive.

One book that I have found to be very useful is called '1001 ways to be a better gardener' by Pippa Greenwood.  I was extremely lucky to be given a signed copy for my birthday this year and I must confess it has taken pride of place in my collection.  The book itself is packed full of practical tips and ideas that aim to save time and money and to help you get the most from your garden.  It is split into different sections and looks at flowerbeds, lawns, kitchen gardens, structures, plant care and lighting to name but a few.  All of the advice is easy to follow and I have used a lot of Pippa's ideas and suggestions in my garden especially the tips on growing vegetables.

Personally I think that this would be a valuable contribution to any gardeners book collection and would offer something to amateurs and experts alike.  Well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment